Episode #79: Sheila McCurdy and Mary Crowley on Remembering Diana Russell
This week’s host, Moe Roddy, is joined by Sheila McCurdy and Mary Crowley, two longtime sailors who now share a bond to the late Diana Russell. Sheila was the first female Commodore of the Cruising Club of America (CCA) and Mary received the first ever Diana Russell Award for her Project Kaisei and efforts with her Ocean Voyages Institute.
Hear the legacy of Diana Russell, the worst weather they’ve ever sailed through, how to reduce plastic in the ocean, the reality of the North Pacific Gyre (NPG), and their favorite sailing adventures.
This episode covers everything from plastic to the CCA. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- When did Sheila & Mary start sailing on their own?
- What’s the worst weather they’ve ever seen on the water?
- How did Mary react when she found out she got the award?
- What is Project Kaisei?
- Where is the North Pacific Gyre?
- What is the Diana Russell Award?
- How was the Cruising Club of America formed?
- Short Tacks: Who’s inspired Sheila & Mary the most in the world?
Learn more at CruisingClub.org and OceanVoyagesInstitute.org.
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast spots – follow and leave a 5-star review if you’re feeling the Good Jibes!
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Sheila McCurdy and Mary Crowley on Remembering Diana Russell
- [0:22] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:26] Moe Roddy
- [0:45] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [0:58] Learn more at CruisingClub.org and OceanVoyagesInstitute.org
- [3:32] Where did Sheila & Mary grow up?
- [4:04] What kind of boats did they start on?
- [5:04] When did they start sailing on their own?
- [6:14] What stories shaped them as sailors?
- [10:28] Ron Holland
- [14:07] What’s the worst weather Sheila & Mary have ever seen on the water?
- [20:05] Did you know every month you can get your copy of Latitude 38 delivered directly to your mailbox? Subscribe at Latitude38.com/Subscriptions
- Diana Russell & Cleaning Up the Ocean
- [21:03] What is the Cruising Club of America (CCA)?
- [22:08] Bermuda Race
- [23:22] Diana Russell
- [25:02] IOR Rule (International Offshore Rule)
- [26:34] COVID-19
- [27:28] What is the Diana Russell Award?
- [28:40] How did Mary react when she found out she got the award?
- [29:47] What is Project Kaisei?
- [31:50] North Pacific Gyre (NPG)
- [34:20] TransPac
- [38:48] United Nations (UN)
- [39:04] Learn more at OceanVoyagesInstitute.org
- [40:00] 501(c)(3)
- [40:44] Sign up for the Latitude 38 Crew List and get on the water with some new friends
- Short Tacks
- [41:28] Adventurous Use of the Sea by Tim Murphy & Sheila McCurdy, Tamata and the Alliance by Bernard Moitessier, The Sibley Guide to Birds by David Allen Sibley
- [44:49] Check out the Latitude 38 Bookstore here for books recommended by Good Jibes guests
- [45:04] Who’s inspired Sheila & Mary the most in the world?
- [49:16] If they could have a drink with anyone, who would it be?
- [51:19] What’s one question Moe didn’t ask they wished she would?
- [55:24] Learn more at CruisingClub.org and OceanVoyagesInstitute.org
- [55:32] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [55:43] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [55:51] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [56:04] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [56:16] Check out the February 2023 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Sheila McCurdy, Mary Crowley, and Moe Roddy on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.