This week’s host, Chris Weaver, is joined by David Herrigel to chat all things Singlehanded Transpacific Race (SHTP). David is Chair of the 2023 SHTP, has been Commodore of the Singlehanded Sailing Society (SSS), and is a two-time veteran of the SHTP himself.
Hear how he got rescued by the Coast Guard on his 2014 attempt, won the race in 2016, the atmosphere waiting for arrivals in Hanalei Bay, what to expect in the next SHTP, and why you should never give up on your sailing dreams.
This episode covers everything from sailing the Pacific to getting involved in the sailing community. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- How did David’s 2014 attempt go?
- What led to his win in 2016?
- How did he become Commodore of the SSS?
- What is it like waiting for arrivals in Hanalei Bay?
- When is the 2023 Singlehanded Transpacific Race?
- How many female competitors will there be?
- What is the seminar schedule?
- How do you register?
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- David Herrigel on Loving the Singlehanded Transpacific Race
- [0:22] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:24] Christine Weaver (Chris)
- [0:28] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [0:30] Register for the race at JibeSet.net and learn more at SFBaySSS.org
- [1:06] How did David’s 2014 attempt go?
- [3:44] Brian Boschma
- [6:33] How did the Coast Guard rescue David’s boat?
- [10:40] Monterey, CA
- [13:05] What led to David’s win in 2016?
- [16:37] How did he become Commodore of the Singlehanded Sailing Society (SSS)?
- [17:42] What is it like waiting for arrivals in Hanalei Bay?
- [18:20] Larry Conklin
- [18:32] Did you know every month you can get your copy of Latitude 38 delivered directly to your mailbox? Subscribe at Latitude38.com/Subscriptions
- 2023 Singlehanded Transpacific (SHTP)
- [19:46] When is the 2023 Singlehanded Transpacific Race?
- [20:49] PSSA (Pacific Singlehanded Sailing Association)
- [21:54] “Episode #27: Margie Woods on Conquering Fear on the Water”
- [22:17] How many female competitors will there be?
- [22:44] “Episode #7: Brendan Huffman on Prepping for a Major Race”
- [23:24] What is the seminar schedule?
- [24:08] Zoom
- [24:38] What are some of the challenges with organizing a race of this magnitude?
- [25:11] Work-Life Balance
- [25:52] COVID-19
- [28:02] What is the tradition with the tree in Hanalei Bay?
- [30:24] Sign up for the Latitude 38 Crew List and get on the water with some new friends
- [30:51] What advice does David have for listeners?
- [32:14] Sailing Alone Around the World by Joshua Slocum, SSS Forum, Skip Allan
- [32:49] Check out the Latitude 38 Bookstore here for books recommended by Good Jibes guests
- [33:32] Register for the race at JibeSet.net and learn more at SFBaySSS.org
- [34:07] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [34:14] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [34:21] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [34:24] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [34:29] Check out the November 2022 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to David Herrigel & Chris Weaver on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.