Welcome back to Latitude 38’s podcast, Good Jibes! In this podcast, we’re bringing you the world of sailing through the eyes of the West Coast Sailor. Each week, you’ll hear stories and tips from the West Coast sailing community on cruising, racing and just plain sailing. Cast off, laugh and learn, and become a better sailor. Hosted by John Arndt, Nicki Bennett, Ryan Foland, and the team at Latitude 38 – the sailing magazine for West Coast sailors since 1977!
This week’s host, Moe Roddy, is joined by Helena Scutt to chat about achieving your dreams and doing what you love in all facets of life.
Helena is a mechanical engineer and Olympic sailor who finished 10th in the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio. While racing at 49erFX Worlds in 2013, she was hit by a boat that broke her spine, two ribs, and lacerated a kidney.
Hear how to recover and come back stronger from a major collision, figure out and achieve your career goals, make sailing more inclusive, keep the joy in sailing, and enjoy the sailing community. Learn more about Helena on Instagram @HelenaS9.
This episode covers everything from moth sailing to the Olympics. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- Does Helena have dual citizenship?
- What funny story would her parents share about her?
- Why did she major in Mechanical Engineering?
- What does she do within mechanical engineering?
- How did she recover from her collision in 2013?
- What’s the most important lesson sailing has taught her?
- How did she get into moth sailing?
- Short Tacks: What’s the greatest compliment she’s received?
Learn more about Helena on Instagram @HelenaS9.
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Helena Scutt on Dreaming Big in Sailing and Your Career
- [0:28] Moe Roddy
- [0:32] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:50] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [1:03] Learn more about Helena on Instagram @HelenaS9
- [2:14] How do you pronounce Helena’s name?
- [2:42] Where did she grow up?
- [2:58] Does she have dual citizenship?
- [3:21] Were her parents sailors?
- [4:17] How old was she for her first time on a boat?
- [4:54] Does she have siblings?
- [5:12] How would her parents describe her?
- [5:52] What funny story would her parents share about her?
- [6:52] Stanford University, Harvard University
- [7:15] Why did Helena major in Mechanical Engineering?
- [9:30] What did she do while training for the Olympics?
- [10:02] What has she learned from choosing traditionally male-dominated fields?
- [11:43] What does she do within mechanical engineering?
- [12:33] What helped her become a mechanical engineer?
- [1 3:42] Is there a PhD in her future?
- [14:02] What words of advice does she have for aspiring sailors & mechanical engineers?
- [15:08] If she could have coffee with anyone, who would it be?
- [16:02] What boat did she start sailing at Stanford?
- [18:01] Where did she meet Paris Henken?
- [19:47] How did Helena recover from her collision in 2013?
- [22:11] Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- [23:18] What’s the difference between a 49er and a 29er?
- [24:21] How would you like it if we sent Latitude 38 to your home each month? Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com/Subscriptions
- Moth Sailing
- [25:21] How did Helena get into moth sailing?
- [27:04] How long has she been doing triathlons?
- [28:04] Santa Cruz Triathlon
- [29:08] How is her moth clinic?
- [29:58] St. Francis Sailing Foundation
- [30:22] Where is Helena doing her clinic?
- [31:23] What’s the most important lesson sailing has taught her?
- [32:00] What future dreams does she have for sailing?
- [32:35] Moth Worlds Argentina
- [32:48] Thank you for listening to Good Jibes with Latitude 38! Tell a fellow sailor friend about the podcast
- [33:07] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- Short Tacks
- [33:25] Wind Strategy by David Houghton & Fiona Campbell
- [33:42] WUSA Girl’s Guide to Soccer Life by The Stars of the WUSA
- [34:58] Bravey by Alexi Pappas
- [35:23] What’s the greatest compliment Helena’s received?
- [36:20] What sailor inspires her the most?
- [37:19] What’s her favorite food while training?
- [38:04] What’s her favorite body of water to sail in?
- [39:54] What famous sailor would she love to sail with?
- [40:25] What’s her top piece of safety equipment?
- [40:43] What’s a question she wishes Moe asked her?
- [44:48] What’s her greatest accomplishment & biggest failure?
- [46:49] What final thoughts does she have?
- [47:10] Learn more about Helena on Instagram @HelenaS9
- [47:33] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [47:47] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [48:02] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [48:05] Check out the March 2022 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.