This week’s host, Moe Roddy, is joined by Susan Ruhne to chat big boats, race management, racing, and volunteering. Susan has been the Regatta Chair of the Rolex Big Boat Series since 2015 and is also on the Board of Directors for the St. Francis Yacht Club.
Hear the history of the Rolex Big Boat Series, famous boats and sailors to compete in it, the hardest part about being the Chair, the different ways to get involved with the race, and how to become a better racer.
This episode covers everything from Rolex to racing committees. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- Did Susan ever go cruising growing up?
- When did she join the St. Francis Yacht Club?
- What’s the history of the Rolex Big Boat Series?
- When did Rolex get involved?
- What is the Perpetual Trophy?
- Who has raced in the Rolex Big Boat Series?
- What is the Classics class?
- Short Tacks: Where’s Susan’s favorite place to sail?
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Susan Ruhne on the Rolex Big Boat Series
- [0:22] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:28] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [0:46] Moe Roddy
- [0:57] Learn more at RolexBigBoatSeries.com and StFYC.com
- [1:36] Where did Susan grow up?
- [1:54] Was she part of a junior sailing program?
- [4:22] Did she ever go cruising growing up?
- [4:53] What is Chi Omega?
- [5:51] Make-A-Wish
- [6:01] COVID-19
- [6:25] When did Susan join the St. Francis Yacht Club?
- [7:47] When does she start working on the Rolex Big Boat Series?
- [8:23] What’s the history of the Rolex Big Boat Series?
- [9:57] Queen Elizabeth
- [10:25] Come to our Fall Crew List Party on Thursday, September 7th, 2023 at 6pm PT at Spaulding Marine Center in Sausalito. Sign up for the Latitude 38 Crew List and get on the water with some new friends
- Rolex Big Boat Series
- [11:55] What is the Perpetual Trophy?
- [13:16] What famous sailors have raced in the Rolex Big Boat Series?
- [13:57] When did Rolex get involved?
- [14:08] What happened in 2001?
- [16:09] What’s the hardest part of being the Regatta Chair?
- [17:40] What is the Classics class?
- [18:48] What was the most memorable moment for Susan?
- [19:42] You can find your closest Latitude 38 distributor at Latitude38.com/Distribution. Did you know every month you can get your copy of Latitude 38 delivered directly to your mailbox? Subscribe at Latitude38.com/Subscriptions
- Short Tacks
- [20:37] Icebergs, Port and Starboard by John Jourdane, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver
- [21:38] Pacific Cup (Pac Cup)
- [22:17] Who would Susan love to have coffee with?
- [22:38] What’s the best professional advice she’s ever received?
- [23:04] What’s her best sailing advice?
- [23:24] Where’s her favorite place to sail?
- [23:40] How do you get involved in the Rolex Big Boat Series?
- [27:37] When did Susan race in the Pacific Cup?
- [28:10] What final thoughts does she have?
- [29:35] Learn more at RolexBigBoatSeries.com and StFYC.com
- [29:55] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [30:06] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [30:08] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [30:09] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [30:11] Check out the September 2023 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Susan Ruhne & Moe Roddy on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.