Welcome back to Latitude 38’s podcast, Good Jibes! In this podcast, we’re bringing you the world of sailing through the eyes of the West Coast Sailor. Each week, you’ll hear stories and tips from the West Coast sailing community on cruising, racing and just plain sailing. Cast off, laugh and learn, and become a better sailor. Hosted by John Arndt, Nicki Bennett, Ryan Foland, and the team at Latitude 38 – the sailing magazine for West Coast sailors since 1977!
This week’s host, John Arndt, is joined by Dr. Paul Heineken to chat sailing, windsurfing, kiting, winging, and giving back to the next generation of sailors. Paul is a lifelong competitive dinghy sailor, windsurfer, and supporter of junior sailing. He’s a former Commodore of the St. Francis Yacht Club, has served on the Board of Directors of the Treasure Island Sailing Center, and has been a volunteer coach of the UC Berkeley Sailing Team for many years.
Hear how to transition to windsurfing and the like, raise a family passionate about sailing, start an event in a new sport, how we can make sailing more available, and what’s next for Treasure Island.
This episode covers everything from winging to raising a sailing family. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- How was Paul’s experience on the Princeton Sailing Team?
- What’s the difference between sailing on the West Coast vs. East Coast?
- When did Paul transition to windsurfing?
- How did Johnny & Erika become world-class sailors?
- What’s next for the St. Francis Yacht Club?
- Are a lot of kiters shifting to winging?
- How do you be a good Commodore of a yacht club?
- Short Tacks: Why should people sail?
Learn more about the Treasure Island Sailing Center at https://www.tisailing.org/.
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Dr. Paul Heineken on Championing the Next Generation of Sailing
- [0:22] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:26] John Arndt
- [0:29] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [0:52] Learn more about the Treasure Island Sailing Center at https://www.tisailing.org/
- [2:45] What’s a story that shaped Paul as a sailor?
- [3:32] How was his experience on the Princeton Sailing Team?
- [5:04] What brought him to the West Coast?
- [7:08] What’s the difference between sailing on the West Coast vs. East Coast?
- [7:55] When did Paul transition to windsurfing?
- [8:53] Was racing a part of that scene early on?
- [9:52] How did Johnny & Erika become world-class sailors?
- [14:16] Kite Foiling
- [15:37] Did you know every month you can get your copy of Latitude 38 delivered directly to your mailbox? Subscribe at Latitude38.com/Subscriptions
- Future of Sailing
- [16:45] How did Paul start kiting?
- [17:38] What is winging?
- [19:26] What’s next for the St. Francis Yacht Club?
- [23:22] Are a lot of kiters shifting to winging?
- [24:51] 505 Worlds
- [25:52] How do you be a good Commodore of a yacht club?
- [26:48] COVID-19
- [27:41] How’s his experience been coaching sailing at UC Berkeley?
- [28:38] Treasure Island Sailing Center
- [32:56] STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math)
- [33:09] Oracle
- [34:08] Pandemic
- [36:04] What’s next for Treasure Island?
- [36:16] Gensler
- [38:17] Sign up for the Latitude 38 Crew List and get on the water with some new friends
- Short Tacks
- [39:50] Toms River, NJ, Alameda Community Sailing Center
- [40:29] What is Paul’s dream boat?
- [42:48] Where’s his favorite place to sail?
- [44:10] Why should people sail?
- [46:19] What’s the most important safety device besides a life jacket?
- [48:31] What’s Paul’s biggest fear on the water?
- [49:28] High Performance Sailing by Frank Bethwaite
- [51:15] Check out the Latitude 38 Bookstore here for books recommended by Good Jibes guests
- [52:23] Learn more about the Treasure Island Sailing Center at https://www.tisailing.org/
- [53:35] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [53:42] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [53:48] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [53:50] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [53:56] Check out the January 2023 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Dr. Paul Heineken & John Arndt on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.