Episode #47: Dawn Riley on Building Good Humans through Sailing
Welcome back to Latitude 38’s podcast, Good Jibes! In this podcast, we’re bringing you the world of sailing through the eyes of the West Coast Sailor. Each week, you’ll hear stories and tips from the West Coast sailing community on cruising, racing and just plain sailing. Cast off, laugh and learn, and become a better sailor. Hosted by John Arndt, Nicki Bennett, Ryan Foland, and the team at Latitude 38 – the sailing magazine for West Coast sailors since 1977!
Good Jibes with Latitude 38 This week’s host, Moe Roddy, is joined by Dawn Riley to talk her legendary life of sailing. Dawn was the first woman ever to manage an entire America’s Cup syndicate, the first American to sail in 3 America’s Cups and 2 Whitbread Round the World races, and is a soon-to-be inductee in both the America’s Cup Hall of Fame and National Sailing Hall of Fame.
Hear what shaped her as a young sailor, her iconic book Taking the Helm, favorite racing memories, what she loves about Oakcliff Sailing, and creating more equality in women’s sports.
This episode covers everything from racing around the world to moving sports forward. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- Did Dawn participate in a junior sailing program as a kid?
- What was her first race?
- How did it feel being the only woman on the America’s Cup team?
- What does Dawn remember most about her races?
- How did she launch her own AC Challenge?
- What is Oakcliff Sailing?
- How does Dawn give back to women’s sports?
- Short Tacks: Where is her favorite place in the world to sail?
Learn more at OakcliffSailing.org.
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast spots – follow and leave a 5-star review if you’re feeling the Good Jibes!
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Dawn Riley on Building Good Humans through Sailing
- [0:21] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:28] Moe Roddy
- [0:47] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [0:59] Learn more at OakcliffSailing.org
- [2:12] Did Dawn participate in a junior sailing program as a kid?
- [3:34] Michigan State University (MSU)
- [4:32] When did Dawn start higher end sailing?
- [6:12] Who was in charge on the boat?
- [7:12] How was Dawn’s year cruising with her family?
- [9:19] What’s a story that shaped her as a young sailor?
- [10:32] What was her first race?
- [12:52] What were her favorite racing boats?
- [14:22] What does she remember most about that race?
- [15:21] What was the hardest moment during a race?
- [17:38] What was it like being the only woman on the America’s Cup team?
- [18:35] What was Dawn’s job on the boat?
- [19:23] What stands out about that campaign?
- [20:28] What did Dawn do next?
- [22:04] Taking the Helm by Dawn Riley with Cynthia Goss
- [25:40] How did Dawn launch her own AC Challenge?
- [27:30] Sign up for the Latitude 38 Crew List and get on the water with some new friends
- [28:28] What is the Women’s Sports Foundation?
- [32:15] Boston Marathon
- [34:13] What is Oakcliff Sailing?
- [39:00] America True Foundation
- [40:08] What does Dawn have to add about her quote?
- Short Tacks
- [44:04] The Lion’s Paw by Robb White
- [45:14] Carol Cronin
- [45:50] Where is Dawn’s favorite place in the world to sail?
- [46:31] Who’s inspired her the most in her life?
- [47:48] If she could have a glass of wine with anyone, who would it be?
- [48:32] What’s the one thing about herself people don’t know?
- [49:12] What will she do with the rest of her life?
- [50:37] Learn more at OakcliffSailing.org
- [53:31] National Sailing Hall of Fame, America’s Cup Hall of Fame
- [53:48] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [54:05] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [54:13] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [54:21] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [54:30] Check out the July 2022 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Dawn Riley & Moe Roddy on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.