This week’s host, John Arndt, is joined by sailboat racing photographer and journalist Jan Pehrson to chat loving sailing with or without a camera. Jan is a racing and cruising sailor, Coast Guard licensed skipper, and former juniors instructor who captures the world’s most exciting and beautiful sailing regattas and beyond.
Hear how she got knocked down on her way to Hawaii, the beauty of small boat racing, being one of the pioneering women at Richmond Yacht Club (RYC), where to find the brightest blue water, and her 55-day trip through the icy waters around Greenland.
This episode covers everything from sailing photography to adversity on the water. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- How did Jan fall in love with sailing?
- Did she have any scary moments “hitchhiking” boats?
- What was the first decade of Latitude 38 like?
- How did Jan get into sailing photography?
- When did she switch to digital photography?
- How was her recent charter with all women?
- What’s so magical about sailing?
- Short Tacks: Is Jan more of a cruiser or racer?
Learn more about Jan at JanPehrson.com.
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Jan Pehrson on Documenting Sailing
- [0:22] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:32] John Arndt
- [0:34] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [0:57] Learn more about Jan at JanPehrson.com
- [2:18] What’s a story that shaped her as a sailor?
- [2:31] Richard Spindler
- [2:54] GPS (Global Positioning System)
- [5:53] How did Jan fall in love with sailing?
- [8:52] Transpac (Transpacific Yacht Race)
- [10:37] Episode #75: “Bill Erkelens on Perfecting The Ocean Race”
- [11:58] How did Jan end up in the Galápagos?
- [14:16] YouTube
- [16:08] Did Jan have any scary moments “hitchhiking” boats?
- [16:28] Crew List Parties
- [17:43] What was the first decade of Latitude 38 like?
- [19:20] St. Francis Yacht Club
- [21:38] You can find your closest Latitude 38 distributor at Latitude38.com/Distribution. Did you know every month you can get your copy of Latitude 38 delivered directly to your mailbox? Subscribe at Latitude38.com/Subscriptions
- Sailing Photography
- [22:32] How did Jan get into sailing photography?
- [23:41] America’s Cup, Fujifilm
- [25:29] When did Jan switch to digital photography?
- [27:48] How was her recent charter with all women?
- [32:42] How were the Bahamas?
- [32:50] Google Earth
- [34:07] Gulf Stream
- [35:00] What’s so magical about sailing?
- [36:11] Check out the Latitude 38 Classy Classifieds at Latitude38.com/Adverts
- Short Tacks
- [37:36] How did Jan get knocked down on her way to Hawaii?
- [41:27] What is her dream boat?
- [42:14] Is she more of a cruiser or racer?
- [42:22] What’s her longest voyage?
- [46:17] What’s her biggest fear on the water?
- [48:22] Chapman Piloting & Seamanship by Chapman, The Long Way by Bernard Moitessier, The Impossible Voyage by Chay Blyth, Adventures of a Pirate Girl by Davina Menduno, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
- [50:12] Check out the Latitude 38 Bookstore here for books recommended by Good Jibes guests
- [50:24] What final thoughts does Jan have?
- [51:15] Learn more about about Jan at JanPehrson.com
- [51:29] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [51:35] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [51:42] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [52:14] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [52:22] Check out the September 2023 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Jan Pehrson & John Arndt on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.