This week’s host, Moe Roddy, is joined by Olympic Match Racer Molly O’Bryan Vandemoer. Molly represented the United States in the 2012 London Olympics, and is now the Director of the Peninsula Youth Sailing Foundation.
Hear her family sailing roots, her college days sailing in Hawaii, her mission to make sailing inclusive for all youth in the Bay Area, how she’s introducing sailing to her own children, and what motivates her. This episode covers everything from growing the sailing community to competing in the Olympics.
Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- Do Molly’s siblings sail?
- What did Molly study in college?
- Who put her Olympic sailing team together?
- How close was she to getting an Olympic medal?
- What’s a good age to get children sailing?
- How long has Molly been at the Peninsula Youth Sailing Foundation?
- What are her thoughts on women in sailing?
- Short Tacks: Who’s had the biggest impact on her sailing?
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Molly O’Bryan Vandemoer on Inclusive Sailing
- [0:22] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:27] Moe Roddy
- [0:44] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [1:08] Learn more about Molly at PYSF.US and on Instagram @MollyVandemoer
- [2:10] Where is she from?
- [2:43] San Diego Yacht Club (SDYC)
- [3:00] Do Molly’s siblings sail?
- [3:29] Did Molly sail in high school?
- [4:08] How influential was that on her sailing career?
- [5:11] How was her experience sailing in college in Hawaii?
- [8:31] What did she study there?
- [9:41] How many times was she named Skipper?
- [12:27] Match Racing
- [13:31] Old Dominion University (ODU)
- [14:12] Who put Molly’s Olympic sailing team together?
- [15:07] How close was she to getting an Olympic medal?
- [18:07] Come to our Fall Crew List Party on Thursday, September 7th, 2023 at 6pm PT at Spaulding Marine Center in Sausalito. Sign up for the Latitude 38 Crew List and get on the water with some new friends
- Sailing Community
- [19:17] How did Molly meet her husband John?
- [20:42] Are their children sailing?
- [21:19] What’s a good age to get children sailing?
- [23:15] How long has Molly been at the Peninsula Youth Sailing Foundation (PYSF)?
- [25:00] Donate at PYSF.US
- [26:11] What are Molly’s thoughts on inclusion in sailing?
- [27:10] What are her thoughts on women in sailing?
- [28:22] Does she ever go cruising with her family?
- [30:49] You can find your closest Latitude 38 distributor at Latitude38.com/Distribution. Did you know every month you can get your copy of Latitude 38 delivered directly to your mailbox? Subscribe at Latitude38.com/Subscriptions
- Short Tacks
- [31:45] Where’s Molly’s favorite place in the world to sail?
- [32:35] Winning in One-Designs by Dave Perry
- [33:42] Check out the Latitude 38 Bookstore here for books recommended by Good Jibes guests
- [33:46] Who’s had the biggest impact on Molly’s sailing?
- [34:54] Who does she wish she could have coffee with?
- [35:18] What’s the best compliment she’s ever gotten?
- [35:57] What’s the best job she’s ever had?
- [36:24] What does she wish Moe asked?
- [37:27] What final thoughts does Molly have?
- [39:55] Learn more about Molly at PYSF.US and on Instagram @MollyVandemoer
- [40:06] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [40:11] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [40:12] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [40:15] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [40:17] Check out the August 2023 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Molly O’Bryan Vandemoer & Moe Roddy on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.