Latitude 38 Episode #34: Brady Trautman & Alex Blue on Doing What Makes You Happy
Welcome back to Latitude 38’s podcast, Good Jibes! In this podcast, we’re bringing you the world of sailing through the eyes of the West Coast Sailor. Each week, you’ll hear stories and tips from the West Coast sailing community on cruising, racing and just plain sailing. Cast off, laugh and learn, and become a better sailor. Hosted by John Arndt, Nicki Bennett, Ryan Foland, and the team at Latitude 38 – the sailing magazine for West Coast sailors since 1977!
This week’s host, Nicki Bennett, is joined by Brady Trautman & Alex Blue to chat finding what you love on the water and sailing as a community.
Brady & Blue have over 100,000 nautical miles of combined sailing experience, 14 years sailing around the world, and empower others to start their sailing journey through their sailing school and film company, Cruisers Academy. Hear how to turn your passion for sailing into a career, sail as a couple, the behind-the-scenes of their 80 North docuseries, the healing power of sailing, and how the duo first met.
This episode covers everything from being happy on and off the water to filming and editing a docuseries.
Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- How do you keep happiness as your drive?
- When did Brady figure out Blue was a woman?
- How did they get into sailing?
- What did they learn on Delos?
- How do you sail successfully as a couple?
- Where did the idea for 80 North come from?
- What’s the healing power of sailing?
- Short Tacks: What are Brady & Blue’s bucket list sailing destinations?
Learn more about Brady & Blue at CruisersAcademy.com and 80NorthSeries.com.
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast spots – follow and leave a 5-star review if you’re feeling the Good Jibes!
- Brady Trautman & Alex Blue on Doing What Makes You Happy
- [0:03] Imagine: the breeze is perfect, the water magnificent, you glide over the waves and everything is just right. This feeling of perfection is why people fall in love with boating. At AkzoNobel, we share that love for boating. It’s the foundation of our research, technologies and innovations. Explore the world of AkzoNobel’s yacht coatings, with the industry-leading brands of Awlgrip, Interlux, and Sea Hawk, with a full range of products that provide boaters with premium topside finishes and bottom coatings that protect and enhance your boat’s performance in tough marine conditions
- [0:58] Nicki Bennett
- [1:14] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [1:17] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [1:22] Learn more about Brady & Blue at CruisersAcademy.com and 80NorthSeries.com
- [2:14] What’s a story that shaped Brady about sailing?
- [2:45] Florida Keys, Open Water Diving Certification
- [3:58] Boy Scouts
- [6:21] What’s a story that shaped Blue about sailing?
- [8:33] SV Delos
- [10:54] Lifestyle Business
- [11:28] How do you keep happiness as your drive?
- [12:17] YouTube
- [13:34] Catalina Island
- [15:13] Trust Fund Baby
- [15:31] Social Media
- [16:07] How would you like it if we sent Latitude 38 to your home each month? Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com/Subscriptions
- Sailing in Adulthood
- [16:45] How did Blue start sailing?
- [20:25] FaceTime
- [22:07] When did Brady figure out Blue was a woman?
- [23:03] How did he get into sailing?
- [24:44] Down Payment, Mortgage
- [25:24] Marquesas
- [25:47] Tahiti, Student Loans
- [27:01] As sailors, we all know the importance of keeping your boat’s bottom protected and clean, so it stays looking and performing at its best. Interlux’s Ultra-Kote is an excellent, long-lasting antifouling for boats in all waters. Ultra-Kote’s innovative technology protects the bottom from barnacles and other fouling that can create drag and slow you down – even in the most challenging fouling areas. Ultra-Kote delivers a durable finish that prevents wear through, with excellent color stability so it looks good for longer! Ultra-Kote is available at your local Interlux retailer or boatyard center
- SV Delos, Cruisers Academy, 80 North Docuseries, and Community
- [27:49] What did Brady & Blue learn on Delos?
- [30:47] How did they start Cruisers Academy?
- [31:23] COVID-19
- [33:53] What courses do Brady & Blue teach?
- [34:03] Lake Tahoe
- [36:14] How do you sail successfully as a couple?
- [40:44] Where did the idea for 80 North come from?
- [45:54] Check out the docuseries at 80NorthSeries.com
- [46:23] What’s the healing power of sailing?
- [50:47] What does community in sailing mean to Brady & Blue?
- [55:33] Grenada
- Short Tacks
- [56:04] What’s Brady & Blue’s #1 safety item besides a life jacket?
- [57:42] What’s the 1 thing they couldn’t live without on a boat?
- [59:04] What’s their favorite upgrade they’ve done on their boat?
- [1:01:08] What are their bucket list sailing destinations?
- [1:01:51] What final thoughts do they have?
- [1:02:09] Learn more about Brady & Blue at CruisersAcademy.com and 80NorthSeries.com
- [1:03:23] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [1:03:56] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [1:03:39] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [1:03:58] Check out the April 2022 issue of Latitude 38
- [1:04:04] Boaters around the world appreciate a beautiful boat, and one way to make a boat catch the eye is to use Awlgrip. In fact, boaters use it as a bragging point that they had their boat ‘Awlgripped’. Awlgrip has kept boats looking amazing for almost 50 years and at AkzoNobel, we never stop innovating the brand and its products. Our latest offering Awlgrip HDT (High Definition Technology) delivers stunning, head-turning finishes, with exceptional high gloss and deeper colors, which also provide long-lasting durability and repairability. To create the perfect finish for your boat, ask your local boatyard about Awlgrip HDT
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Brady & Blue and Nicki Bennett on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.
This episode is brought to you by AkzoNobel. At AkzoNobel, we share your love for boating. It’s the foundation of our research, technologies and innovations. Explore the world of AkzoNobel’s yacht coatings, with the industry-leading brands of Awlgrip, Interlux, and Sea Hawk, with a full range of products that provide boaters with premium topside finishes and bottom coatings that protect and enhance your boat’s performance in tough marine conditions.