This week’s host, Ryan Foland, is joined by Archie Contreras in person just off Big Geiger Cove at Catalina Island. Archie owns the 60-foot Titania – showcased at wooden boat shows – and has been sailing to Catalina for years, just like Ryan.
Hear about the joys of visiting Catalina, how to extend your boundaries, improve your anchoring skills, predict the weather, and why there’s nothing wrong with doing nothing.
This episode covers everything from Catalina to wooden boats. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- When did Archie start sailing to Catalina Island?
- What’s the history of Titania?
- Why are there bison on Catalina?
- What sailing lessons does Archie have to share?
- How is it sailing to Catalina?
- What keeps Archie coming back to Catalina?
- How do you get better at anchoring?
- Short Tacks: What’s the #1 spot to check out on Catalina?
Learn more about Archie on Instagram @SY_Titania.
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Archie Contreras on Relaxing at Catalina Island
- [0:22] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:34] Ryan Foland
- [0:45] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [0:51] Learn more about Archie on Instagram @SY_Titania
- [1:33] What’s a story that shaped him about sailing?
- [2:16] When did he start sailing to Catalina Island?
- [2:37] Pandemic
- [4:05] What’s the history of Titania?
- [6:32] What are Archie’s plans with Titania over the next few years?
- [7:45] What makes Titania different?
- [8:34] Imagine being the proud owner of a brand new yacht – and sailing the world in exotic destinations with other charter guests paying the bill for you. It’s possible with Dream Yacht Charter – and much more affordable than you might expect. Choose from our world-class yacht brands and have your operating expenses covered, including dockage, insurance, maintenance, and more. Plus, charter for up to 12 weeks a year in 45+ amazing destinations. And, receive monthly checks to help offset your boat payments. Become a yacht owner and sail the world with Dream Yacht
- Sailing to Catalina Island
- [9:46] What part of Catalina does Archie usually spend time on?
- [10:33] Big Geiger Cove
- [11:50] Why are there bison on Catalina Island?
- [13:38] What sailing lessons does Archie have to share?
- [14:55] What did he want to do when he grew up?
- [15:42] How is it sailing to Catalina?
- [17:18] What keeps Archie coming back to Catalina?
- [18:36] If you’re looking to purchase a new catamaran or monohull, Dream Yacht can help. We represent many world-class yacht brands that are available to buy through ownership programs in 45+ locations around the world – or through private ownership. Let our expert brokers help you navigate the purchase process. Visit Dream Yacht Sales to get in touch
- [19:28] What does Archie do on Catalina?
- [21:01] The Sandtrap
- [21:22] Descanso Beach
- [21:58] Luau Larry’s
- [24:20] How do you get better at anchoring?
- [25:48] “How to Anchor” on YouTube
- [26:54] eBay
- [27:18] Sailing School
- [28:05] Wind Forecast
- [28:54] Catalina Island Ferry
- Short Tacks
- [29:57] What’s Archie’s favorite boat he’s ever sailed on?
- [30:38] Has he been on a racing boat?
- [31:09] What’s the #1 spot to check out on Catalina?
- [31:38] How many years before Archie sails overseas?
- [32:08] Self Sufficient Sailor by Lin and Larry Pardey, Sailing a Serious Ocean by John Kretschmer
- [32:31] What’s one thing Archie still wants to do on Titania?
- [34:41] Learn more about Archie on Instagram @SY_Titania
- [34:43] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [34:45] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [34:47] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [34:49] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [34:50] Check out the October 2022 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Archie Contreras & Ryan Foland on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.