Episode #59: Randall Reeves on His Figure 8 Voyage
This week’s host, Moe Roddy, is joined by Randall Reeves to chat about his unbelievable Figure 8 Voyage and other adventures around the world. Randall is the first person to complete the 40,000-nautical mile Figure 8 Voyage singlehanded — an achievement which resulted in his receiving the CCA’s (Cruising Club of America’s) 2020 Blue Water Medal.
Hear the most extreme parts of his passage around the Americas and Antarctica, the most difficult and exhausting stretches, what he learned on his first attempt, how to solve problems on the water, and battle big storms and big sea.
This episode covers everything from the Northwest Passage to penguins. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- How did Randall get interested in singlehanding?
- Did he dream of sailing offshore one day?
- How did he get into blue water sailing?
- What is the Figure 8 Voyage?
- How much of the Northwest Passage is open?
- Why is Randall’s boat called Moli (aka Mo)?
- How long did it take him to get through the Northwest Passage?
- Short Tacks: Do polar bears hibernate?
Learn more at Figure8Voyage.com and check out Randall’s picture book, The Figure 8 Voyage: https://www.amazon.com/Figure-8-Voyage-Randall-Reeves/dp/B0B3DGYXFJ.
Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and your other favorite podcast spots – follow and leave a 5-star review if you’re feeling the Good Jibes!
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Randall Reeves on His Figure 8 Voyage
- [0:22] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:27] Moe Roddy
- [0:47] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [1:00] Learn more at Figure8Voyage.com and check out Randall’s picture book, The Figure 8 Voyage: https://www.amazon.com/Figure-8-Voyage-Randall-Reeves/dp/B0B3DGYXFJ
- [1:33] Where did Randall grow up?
- [2:46] San Joaquin River
- [3:24] Stockton Yacht Club
- [5:02] How did Randall get interested in singlehanding?
- [7:12] Did he dream of sailing offshore one day?
- [7:56] Bernard Moitessier
- [11:42] How old is Randall?
- [15:10] How did he get into blue water sailing?
- [19:48] Sea of Cortez
- [21:12] Marquesas, Bing Crosby
- [24:19] Imagine being the proud owner of a brand new yacht – and sailing the world in exotic destinations with other charter guests paying the bill for you. It’s possible with Dream Yacht Charter – and much more affordable than you might expect. Choose from our world-class yacht brands and have your operating expenses covered, including dockage, insurance, maintenance, and more. Plus, charter for up to 12 weeks a year in 45+ amazing destinations. And, receive monthly checks to help offset your boat payments. Become a yacht owner and sail the world with Dream Yacht
- Figure 8 Voyage
- [24:58] What is the Figure 8 Voyage?
- [29:22] How much of the Northwest Passage (NWP) is open?
- [37:35] How long is Randall’s boat?
- [39:19] How did his 2017 attempt of the Figure 8 Voyage go?
- [40:16] Cape Horn
- [43:27] How long did Randall have to steer the boat manually?
- [46:42] Why is his boat called Moli (aka Mo)?
- [55:28] The Traps and The Snares in New Zealand
- [1:02:12] How long did it take Randall to get through the Northwest Passage?
- [1:08:19] How did he react to winning the Cruising Club of America’s 2020 Blue Water Medal?
- [1:12:38] If you’re looking to purchase a new catamaran or monohull, Dream Yacht can help. We represent many world-class yacht brands that are available to buy through ownership programs in 45+ locations around the world – or through private ownership. Let our expert brokers help you navigate the purchase process. Visit Dream Yacht Sales to get in touch
- Short Tacks
- [1:13:18] The Eight Sailing/Mountain Exploration Books by H.W. Tilman
- [1:14:51] COVID-19
- [1:15:29] Mind over Matter by Ranulph Fiennes
- [1:17:44] What’s Randall’s favorite trip he’s ever taken?
- [1:20:14] Sir Robin Knox-Johnston
- [1:20:42] What’s Randall’s favorite sailing lesson?
- [1:21:42] Who’s inspired him the most in his life?
- [1:23:00] What’s a question Moe didn’t ask Randall wished she would?
- [1:25:09] Do polar bears hibernate?
- [1:26:22] Learn more at Figure8Voyage.com and check out Randall’s picture book, The Figure 8 Voyage: https://www.amazon.com/Figure-8-Voyage-Randall-Reeves/dp/B0B3DGYXFJ
- [1:28:22] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [1:28:34] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [1:28:37] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [1:28:39] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [1:28:41] Check out the September 2022 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Randall Reeves & Moe Roddy on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.
This episode is brought to you by Dream Yacht. Become a yacht owner and sail the world with Dream Yacht