This week’s host, John Arndt, is joined by Paul Dines to chat about creating unforgettable experiences for sailors in the Bay and beyond. Paul is Captain of Schooner Freda B and has successfully delivered numerous private yachts up and down the West Coast.
He’s been on the San Francisco Bay since 1983 and held his captain’s license since 1994. Hear how people react to sailing the Bay for the first time, the therapeutic nature of sailing, what it’s like captaining a different type of boat than people are used to, how to preserve the waterfront, and why kids should get into sailing.
This episode covers everything from schooners to Bay Area sailing. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- What’s so great about sailing in San Francisco Bay?
- Did Paul grow up sailing?
- What is it like sailing Schooner Freda B?
- Who typically sails on it?
- Why should we preserve the waterfront?
- What’s changed with the waterfront over the years?
- Where has sailing taken Paul?
- Short Tacks: What’s the longest voyage he’s been on?
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Paul Dines on Delivering Happiness around the Bay
- [0:22] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:28] John Arndt
- [0:44] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [0:56] Learn more about Paul @SchoonerFredaB on Instagram, Facebook, and https://schoonerfredab.com/
- [2:30] What’s a story that shaped Paul as a sailor?
- [4:12] What’s so great about sailing in San Francisco Bay?
- [5:29] What did Paul think he would do as a career besides sailing?
- [5:44] San Francisco State University (SFSU)
- [6:42] Billy Martinelli
- [7:52] PhD (Doctor of Philosophy)
- [8:08] Did Paul grow up sailing?
- [10:21] What is it like sailing Schooner Freda B?
- [12:52] Who typically sails on Schooner Freda B?
- [13:44] Digital Age
- [17:12] Have you ever done the Ha-Ha? The Baja Ha-Ha is a low pressure, super fun cruising rally from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas – a great way to kick off the season of cruising and make friends. The 2022 Baja Ha-Ha is 10/31-11/12. Find out more and sign up at Baja-HaHa.com
- Sailing Community
- [18:03] Where else has sailing taken Paul?
- [18:52] Has all of that sailing been deliveries?
- [19:43] Financial Freedom
- [20:17] Why should we preserve the waterfront?
- [22:15] Affordable Housing
- [26:10] What’s changed with the waterfront over the years?
- [26:57] Sausalito, CA
- [31:51] Why should kids get into sailing?
- [33:31] Andy Schwenk, Pacific Cup (Pac Cup)
- [33:55] Did you know every month you can get your copy of Latitude 38 delivered directly to your mailbox? Subscribe at Latitude38.com/Subscriptions
- Short Tacks
- [34:54] What is Paul’s dream boat?
- [35:56] What’s his racing-to-cruising ratio?
- [37:36] What’s the longest voyage he’s been on?
- [38:09] Where’s his favorite place to sail?
- [40:57] What’s his most important safety item other than a life jacket?
- [44:22] What’s his biggest fear on the water?
- [45:08] The Bounty Trilogy by Charles Nordhoff & James Norman Hall, Peter Freuchen’s Book of the Seven Seas, The Journal of a Sea Captain’s Wife, 1841–1845 by Lydia Rider Nye, Two Years Before The Mast by Richard Henry Dana
- [48:06] Learn more about Paul @SchoonerFredaB on Instagram, Facebook, and https://schoonerfredab.com/
- [49:00] What final thoughts does Paul have?
- [49:38] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [49:42] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [49:59] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [50:01] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [50:05] Check out the September 2022 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
What is Good Jibes with Latitude 38?
Welcome to the world of sailing through the eyes of the West Coast Sailor. Each week, hear stories and tips from West Coast sailors on the topics of community, cruising, and racing. Cast off, laugh and learn, and become a better sailor. Hosted by John Arndt, Nicki Bennett, Ryan Foland, and the team at Latitude 38 – the sailing magazine for West Coast sailors since 1977!
How do I subscribe to Latitude 38?
Thanks for listening to Paul Dines & John Arndt on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.