This week’s host, John Arndt, is joined by Craig Leweck to chat all sorts of Scuttlebutt in the sailing world and beyond.
Craig has been the Editor and Publisher of Scuttlebutt Sailing News for over 20 years. His sailing resume includes over 16 national and world titles, and even an Olympic campaign in 1992.
Hear the story behind Scuttlebutt Sailing News, how to find what interests you on and off the water, what to do when you retire, what’s good about sailing today, and how to make sailing events even more fun. This episode covers everything from racing to funny quotes. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- How did Craig develop his lifelong passion for sailing?
- When did he start with Scuttlebutt Sailing News?
- How did he develop his style of newsletter?
- What are the best sailing events right now?
- How does Craig like windsurfing?
- What draws people to sailing?
- How did Craig’s father Tom start Scuttlebutt Sailing News?
- Short Tacks: What’s Craig’s favorite racing venue?
Learn more at SailingScuttlebutt.com.
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Craig Leweck Shares the Good Word on Sailing
- [0:21] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:29] John Arndt
- [0:45] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [0:55] Learn more at SailingScuttlebutt.com
- [2:01] What’s a story that shaped Craig as a sailor?
- [3:26] Marina del Rey, CA
- [7:19] How did Craig develop his lifelong passion for sailing?
- [12:18] How does he like windsurfing?
- [12:49] How did his father Tom start Scuttlebutt Sailing News?
- [13:38] Technology (Tech), Internet
- [14:37] Email
- [14:58] AOL
- [15:39] When did Craig start with Scuttlebutt Sailing News?
- [16:07] Have you ever done the Ha-Ha? The Baja Ha-Ha is a low pressure, super fun cruising rally from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas – a great way to kick off the season of cruising and make friends. The 2022 Baja Ha-Ha is 10/31-11/12. Find out more and sign up at Baja-HaHa.com
- Scuttlebutt Sailing News
- [17:36] How did Craig develop his style of newsletter?
- [17:51] COVID-19
- [24:48] What are the best sailing events right now?
- [31:06] Pandemic
- [31:44] Did you know every month you can get your copy of Latitude 38 delivered directly to your mailbox? Subscribe at Latitude38.com/Subscriptions
- [32:38] What draws people to sailing?
- [34:37] Snipe Class
- [38:28] What areas of the world are hosting great sailing events?
- [39:38] Long Island Sound
- [43:12] Lake Tahoe
- Short Tacks
- [44:49] What’s Craig’s favorite sailboat make & model?
- [47:27] What was his longest passage on the water?
- [48:22] What’s his favorite racing venue?
- [50:56] The Medal Maker by Roger Vaughan, Strenuous Life Of Harry Anderson by Roger Vaughan
- [53:18] How does Craig think of the clever quotes in each newsletter?
- [54:22] What final thoughts does he have?
- [55:49] Learn more at SailingScuttlebutt.com
- [57:31] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [57:42] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [57:48] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [57:52] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [57:56] Check out the August 2022 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Craig Leweck & John Arndt on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.