Welcome back to Latitude 38’s podcast, Good Jibes! This week’s host, Nicki Bennett, is joined by Behan and Jamie Gifford of Sailing Totem to chat about raising their kids at sea. They’ve been sailing the world’s oceans as a family since 2008 and enjoy sharing their travel adventures afloat and ashore with their community.
Hear how a sabbatical sailing turned into a lifestyle, cruising the world changed the way they look at family decisions, strengthening the relationship with their children, what it’s been like “world schooling” their children, and what’s next for them and their boat Totem.
This episode covers everything from raising your kids on a boat to dodging scary weather on the water. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- How old were Behan & Jamie’s kids when they set sail?
- Why did they take the sabbatical in the first place?
- How are their relationships with their children today?
- Where is Totem now?
- How has “world schooling” been?
- What’s next for Totem?
- How do Behan & Jamie manage sailing and raising kids full-time?
- Short Tacks: What’s helpful for raising kids on a boat?
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Behan and Jamie Gifford on Cruising the World as a Family
- [0:22] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:36] Nicki Bennett
- [0:42] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [1:04] Learn more at SailingTotem.com and social media @SailingTotem
- [2:11] What’s a story that shaped Behan & Jamie as sailors?
- [5:23] Great Barrier Reef
- [13:32] How old were Behan & Jamie’s kids when they set sail?
- [15:08] Why did they take the sabbatical in the first place?
- [19:39] How are their relationships with their children today?
- [20:08] COVID-19
- [22:39] How has “world schooling” been?
- [28:37] Have you ever done the Ha-Ha? The Baja Ha-Ha is a low pressure, super fun cruising rally from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas – a great way to kick off the season of cruising and make friends. The 2022 Baja Ha-Ha is 10/31-11/12. Find out more and sign up at Baja-HaHa.com
- Full-Time Cruising
- [29:42] Totem
- [33:04] How do Behan & Jamie manage sailing and raising kids full-time?
- [35:58] Advertiser
- [42:08] YouTube
- [47:12] What’s next for Totem?
- [53:00] Did you know every month you can get your copy of Latitude 38 delivered directly to your mailbox? Subscribe at Latitude38.com/Subscriptions
- [54:04] Schedule a coaching call with Behan & Jamie here
- Short Tacks
- [54:49] What’s Behan & Jamie’s #1 safety item on a boat?
- [55:48] What’s something they can’t live without aboard?
- [57:12] What’s helpful for raising kids on a boat?
- [58:28] What’s Behan & Jamie’s favorite upgrade they’ve made on Totem?
- [59:58] What’s the upgrade they’re most excited about using?
- [1:03:10] Learn more at SailingTotem.com and social media @SailingTotem @CaptainRon_Official and the Pac Cup at PacificCup.org and social media
- [1:03:39] What final thoughts do Behan & Jamie have?
- [1:07:14] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [1:07:27] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [1:07:37] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [1:07:54] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [1:08:06] Check out the July 2022 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Behan Gifford, Jamie Gifford, and Nicki Bennett on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.