Episode #45: Mary Menninger on Following Your Sailing Passion
Welcome back to Latitude 38’s podcast, Good Jibes! In this podcast, we’re bringing you the world of sailing through the eyes of the West Coast Sailor. Each week, you’ll hear stories and tips from the West Coast sailing community on cruising, racing and just plain sailing. Cast off, laugh and learn, and become a better sailor. Hosted by John Arndt, Nicki Bennett, Ryan Foland, and the team at Latitude 38 – the sailing magazine for West Coast sailors since 1977!
This week’s host, Moe Roddy, is joined by Mary Menninger to chat her top sailing memories and what she’s learned from a lifetime of sailing. Mary is an accomplished racer and cruiser who taught a program for students interested in the marine industry and volunteers at Treasure Island Sailing Center. Her father, George Griffith, is the “Father of the Cal 40.”
Hear her best sailing advice, what she learned from her dad, how to make sailing available to more people, give back to the next generation of sailors, and why sailing satisfies the human need for adventure at the deepest level.
This episode covers everything from growing up in a sailing family to volunteering in the sailing world. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- Was it an idyllic childhood?
- What role did Mary have on the boat?
- Did her dad really draw the original Cal 40 on a napkin?
- Why did he build a power boat?
- What was the program Mary started for future mariners in Southern California?
- How did she start volunteering for the Treasure Island Sailing Center?
- What kind of boats did her family have when she was a kid?
- Short Tacks: Sailboat vs. Power Boat?
Learn more and volunteer at TiSailing.org.
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Mary Menninger on Following Your Sailing Passion
- [0:21] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:28] Moe Roddy
- [0:48] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [1:00] Learn more and volunteer at TiSailing.org
- [2:36] Where is Mary from?
- [3:14] LA Yacht Club
- [3:39] What junior sailing program did they have?
- [5:27] Catalina Island
- [6:44] Was it an idyllic childhood?
- [7:18] What did Mary do next?
- [8:41] Long Beach Boat Show
- [10:04] How were Mary’s campaigns on 470s?
- [12:23] What role did she have on the boat?
- [13:32] 505
- George Griffith “Father of the Cal 40”
- [15:06] Where did Mary’s parents grow up?
- [16:43] What kind of boats did her family have when she was a kid?
- [19:54] Did her dad really draw the original Cal 40 on a napkin?
- [21:42] Sally Honey
- [22:19] Singlehanded TransPac
- [23:29] Why did George build a power boat?
- [25:29] Sign up for the Latitude 38 Crew List and get on the water with some new friends
- [26:18] What was the program Mary started for future mariners in Southern California?
- [28:34] STCW (Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping)
- [30:46] How did Mary start volunteering for the Treasure Island Sailing Center?
- [33:33] Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
- Short Tacks
- [36:08] Sailing Alone Around the World by Joshua Slocum
- [36:46] Taking on the World by Ellen MacArthur
- [37:06] What’s Mary’s favorite trip she’s taken?
- [37:39] Cuyler Harbor
- [37:53] Who would Mary have coffee with if it could be anyone?
- [38:42] What’s the most important lesson sailing’s taught her?
- [39:55] Who’s inspired her most in her life?
- [40:40] Sailboat vs. Power Boat?
- [41:14] What’s a question Mary wishes Moe asked?
- [44:00] What final thoughts does she have?
- [45:08] Learn more and volunteer at TiSailing.org
- [46:20] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [46:28] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [46:34] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [46:40] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [46:46] Check out the June 2022 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Mary Menninger & Moe Roddy on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.