Welcome back to Latitude 38’s podcast, Good Jibes! In this podcast, we’re bringing you the world of sailing through the eyes of the West Coast Sailor. Each week, you’ll hear stories and tips from the West Coast sailing community on cruising, racing and just plain sailing. Cast off, laugh and learn, and become a better sailor. Hosted by John Arndt, Nicki Bennett, Ryan Foland, and the team at Latitude 38 – the sailing magazine for West Coast sailors since 1977!
This week’s host, Nicki Bennett, is joined by Liz Clark to chat her lessons on sailing, the environment, and life from over 20,000 nautical miles and counting.
Liz is an environmental activist and the author of Swell: A Sailing Surfer’s Voyage of Awakening – which recounts her decade-long journey of sailing the world and living aboard her Cal-40, Swell. Hear how to merge your passions, take big risks, be confident enough to problem solve, the things you learn on the water away from everything, and how to do the right thing for the ocean gods.
This episode covers everything from singlehanding to writing a sailing book. Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- How did Liz merge her passions?
- When did she leave on her voyage?
- Where is she now?
- How much does she sail these days?
- What advice would she give to a woman who wants to set sail?
- How did she get into environmental advocacy?
- What projects is she working on currently?
- Short Tacks: Bucket list sailing destination?
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Liz Clark on Enjoying and Helping the Planet
- [0:22] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:27] Nicki Bennett
- [0:46] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [0:54] Learn more about Liz at SwellVoyage.com, Instagram @CaptainLizClark, and check out her book
- [2:10] What is a story that shaped Liz as a sailor?
- [3:22] Santa Barbara, CA
- [4:42] How did Liz merge her passions?
- [7:20] When did she leave on her voyage?
- [7:40] Where is she now?
- [7:54] Tahiti
- [9:11] How much does Liz sail these days?
- [9:24] Nonprofit
- [9:28] COVID-19
- [10:21] What kind of boat is Swell?
- [11:01] What advice would Liz give to a woman who wants to set sail?
- [14:40] Had she sailed much solo before her voyage?
- [17:50] How does she think about sailing as a catalyst for healing?
- [21:03] Self-Awareness
- [21:50] Summer Sailstice is on June 18, 2022! Sign up & join the fun at www.SummerSailstice.com
- Environmental Advocacy & Community
- [23:02] How did Liz get into environmental advocacy?
- [23:16] UC Santa Barbara (UCSB)
- [27:04] How do you take little bites out of a really big problem?
- [30:42] Starbucks
- [32:06] What projects is Liz working on currently?
- [32:31] A Ti’a Matairea
- [33:34] French Polynesia
- [37:31] How would Liz recommend sailors get involved and help the community they’re in?
- Short Tacks
- [42:22] What is Liz’s #1 safety item other than a life jacket?
- [42:33] What’s her bucket list sailing destination?
- [43:00] The Long Way by Bernard Moitessier, Dove by Robin Lee Graham
- [43:17] What is one thing on board that made Liz’s life better on Swell?
- [44:02] What final thoughts does she have?
- [44:52] Learn more about Liz at SwellVoyage.com, Instagram @CaptainLizClark, and check out her book
- [45:53] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [45:59] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [46:09] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [46:16] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- [45:12] Check out the May 2022 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Thanks for listening to Liz Clark & Nicki Bennett on Good Jibes with Latitude 38. Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.