Welcome back to Latitude 38’s podcast, Good Jibes! In this podcast, we’re bringing you the world of sailing through the eyes of the West Coast Sailor. Each week, you’ll hear stories and tips from the West Coast sailing community on cruising, racing and just plain sailing. Cast off, laugh and learn, and become a better sailor. Hosted by John Arndt, Nicki Bennett, Ryan Foland, and the team at Latitude 38 – the sailing magazine for West Coast sailors since 1977!
This week’s host, Nicki Bennett, is joined by Mike Parlacoski to chat cruising the world with a strong mission. Mike is a Navy veteran who embraces the mission of “Ikigai” – purpose, or reason for being – to travel the world and deliver medical and humanitarian aid to the cultures he comes across.
Hear how to find your Ikigai, prepare for a long sailing journey, fix your boat when trouble arises, make an impact on the communities around you, and the generosity of sailors. This episode covers everything from stocking up to troubleshooting.
Here’s a small sample of what you will hear in this episode:
- How did Mike get into sailing?
- What is ikigai?
- How does Mike stock up for his missions?
- Is his boat in San Diego?
- How can sailors make an impact on their community?
- Who is Mike’s sailing mentor?
- Will he do more missions this year?
- Short Tacks: What are his favorite upgrades on the boat?
Check out the episode and show notes below for much more detail.
- Mike Parlacoski on Sailing the World While Giving Back
- [0:24] Welcome to Good Jibes with Latitude 38
- [0:29] Ryan Foland
- [0:50] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [1:01] Learn more about Mike at SVikigai.com and on Instagram @SV_ikigai
- [1:06] Nicki Bennett
- [1:32] What is a story that shaped Mike as a sailor?
- [1:56] Navy, Okinawa, Japan
- [3:44] Ikigai
- [4:12] COVID-19
- [4:57] Social Media
- [6:04] How did Mike get into sailing?
- [6:24] Jay Shetty
- [9:18] Which boats were Ikigai?
- [10:01] How did Mike learn to sail?
- [10:40] ASA 101
- [12:58] Sea of Cortez
- [17:18] How does Mike’s lifestyle look going forward?
- [18:05] What is ikigai?
- [18:31] How did things work before COVID-19 hit?
- [21:18] How was it isolating on the boat in COVID-19?
- [22:15] Lin Pardey on Staying Simple and Just Getting Out There
- [24:07] How does Mike stock up for his missions?
- [26:34] Will he do more missions this year?
- [28:14] Is his boat in San Diego?
- [29:10] Facebook
- [29:50] Warm someone’s winter with a subscription to Latitude 38! Gift a subscription at Latitude38.com/Subscriptions
- [30:19] How can sailors make an impact on their community?
- [34:40] How do you get comfortable with the unknown?
- [36:00] Who is Mike’s sailing mentor?
- [42:19] How has Nicki’s family been during the fires?
- [44:02] Email [email protected] to advertise on this podcast or in Latitude 38 sailing magazine
- Short Tacks
- [44:18] What is Mike’s top piece of safety equipment?
- [45:32] What are his favorite upgrades on the boat?
- [47:53] What is his top thing he can’t sail without?
- [49:47] How would he convince a power boater to try sailing?
- [51:01] America Before by Graham Hancock, Magicians of the Gods by Graham Hancock
- [52:27] Podcasts
- [53:19] Learn more about Mike at SVikigai.com and on Instagram @SV_ikigai
- [54:44] Make sure to follow Good Jibes with Latitude 38 on your favorite podcast spot and leave us a 5-star review on Apple Podcasts
- [54:51] Got a great sailing story to submit? Do so at [email protected]
- [54:58] Subscribe to Latitude 38 at Latitude38.com
- [55:22] Check out the February 2022 issue of Latitude 38
- Theme Song: Pineapple Dream by SOLXIS
Subscribe here to receive Latitude 38 to your home each month.